Minimum admission requirements for the Duke University Hospital Internship Program:
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution (completed within the last 4 years) and Verification Statement from an accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD)
- Completed on-line DICAS application
- DPD GPA of 3.2
- Science GPA of 3.0
Our goal is to select the student with a strong academic background, as well as good communication and teamwork skills. Dietetic Internship Programs are highly competitive. In addition to the minimum requirements above, the intern selection committee will review the application and screen based on the criteria below:
- Strong academic achievement
- Work/volunteer experience
- Work experience related to nutrition or food service is a plus but not mandatory. Work /volunteer experience demonstrating time management, team work, dependability and leadership is equally valued.
- Personal statement essay
- Addressing professional goals, teamwork, dependability and leadership
- Phone interview (interns will be notified via email)
*Please note: students who fail drug screen and criminal background check will not be admitted into the program.
- Complete the online application using the Dietetic Internship Centralized Application Service (DICAS). The DICAS can be found at http://portal.dicas.org. The deadline for application to the Duke University Hospital Internship Program is February 15, 2019. There is a $40 fee to use DICAS for the first application and $20 for each additional application.
- Students interested in Clinical Pediatric Nutrition will need to apply separately for the pediatric track.
- Students may apply to both track at no additional charge.
Submit the supplemental application and $50 application fee (make check payable to Duke University Hospital, Department of Nutrition Services) postmarked by February 1, 2019 to:
Seema Desai MS, RD, LDN
Director of Dietetic Internship Program
Duke University Hospital
DUMC BOX 3655
Durham, NC 27710
- Applicants must register on the D&D Digital Web Site for computer matching and submission of matching requests by the required deadline.
Once an applicant is matched to the internship he/she must call 919-668-6136 to confirm acceptance within two days of notification date.
The Didactic Program in Dietetics completion date on the final Verification Statement must be prior to the internship entry date of 9/3/2019.(subject to change)
Successfully matched applicants must send a hard copy of their Verification Statement signed by the Director of their accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics.
Duke Dietetic Internship Program does not offer a stipend or any financial aid. The tuition fees are $7,000. If the student withdraws from the program at least 30 days prior to program start date, the student will be entitled to a refund of full payment, less $1,500. Program fee is non-refundable if the intern withdraws less than 30 days prior to beginning the internship or if the intern resigns after the program starts.
Non-refundable application fee of $50 is due at the time of application submission.
|Criminal Background Check||$75.00|
|AND Student Membership||$50.00|
|Parking||$66.00/month and up|
|Travel||variable upto $200|
|Books and Supplies||$200.00|
In addition to these, the student will incur cost for physical health examination and required immunizations and TB test.
Interns are required to locate their own housing. Housing arrangements must be made prior to starting the program. Assistance will be provided by the Internship Program Director, who will connect interns with each other to make their own housing arrangements.
Interns are responsible for their own transportation to the various facilities. Most rotations are within 5 miles of the University Hospital, with the exception of long term and some WIC sites which may be about 20-30 miles of University Hospital. Interns are encouraged to visit the transportation site www.gotriangle.org to help determine if they need to have their own vehicle.
Interns must have medical insurance. Interns are also required to have automobile insurance if they plan on having a personal vehicle.