The mission of the Department of Clinical Nutrition Services is to deliver high quality, efficient, cost effective nutrition care and to promote the practice of clinical nutrition.
The department of Nutrition Services serves patients in the inpatient and outpatient settings at Duke University Hospital. Nutrition Services is aligned through the office of the Chief Nursing & Patient Care Services Officer of Duke University Hospital.
Operational oversight for Nutrition Services is provided through the leadership talents of the Nutrition Services Director. Three clinical teams, Women's and Children's, Adult Inpatient Services, and Adult Outpatient Services serve to provide team based, seamless coverage across our care settings. The staff is comprised of over 55 clinical dietitians, 15 PIN room diet technicians. Staff in the Department of Nutrition Services hold a variety of advanced degrees and specialty certifications.
Nutrition Services Provided
Strong Clinical Emphasis, advocating and practicing evidence-based medicine to improve community health
- Employing evidenced-based medical nutritional therapy in nutrition screening, nutrition consults, and nutrition education throughout the health system
- Front line interdisciplinary team member in inpatient and clinic that encompass a multitude of services throughout lifespan that include multi-organ transplant, inborn errors of metabolism, and Ketogenic Diet Program
- Bedside small bore feeding tube placements utilizing electromagnetic transmitter technology
- Fluid/electrolyte management with adult and pediatric parenteral/enteral nutrition
- Adaptive nutrition education and counseling techniques to meet the needs of the diverse patient populations in all Duke Health System settings
- Determine goals for long-term nutrition therapy that address potential nutrition-related complications and interventions
- Employing adaptive medical nutrition techniques for altered metabolism in injury and inflammation
- Determine disease-specific formulas and adjunctive therapies in critically ill patients
- Participating in hospital and health system based initiatives to promote cutting edge innovative patient services
Seema Desai, MS, RD, LDN